Thursday, July 29, 2010

Allow Me to Introduce Myself

Allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Moriah.  I’ve lived in the sort-of northeastern section of the Midwest my whole life, and I’m an activist and advocate for equality in many forms.  I am a GLSEN [Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network] Media Ambassador,  an active organizer in my school’s GSA, and am currently conceptualizing some bigger plans for the LGBTQQIAAP(did I forget any letters?) community at large in the area where I live.  I tend to be pretty outspoken, but as respectful as possible.  I love it when people can challenge my opinions and ideas in an intelligent and well-informed way, and I’m open to being convinced.

I consider myself to be a damn proud ally, and I have been for a while.  I consider myself a strong ally to the extent that I am truly a part of the LGBTQ community, and in no way a help from the outside;  I feel like it’s where I belong, and my existence is intertwined so closely here that it’s really like my second family, and my second home.  I think this defines a large part of my being, and I often don’t know quite how to put it in words.  Not that this is exactly related to me introducing myself… but I don’t know that I’ve ever really verbalized the concept before, and I felt like I needed to because it’s a part of who I am.  So if you’re out there reading, then you are now one of the first to understand this piece of me.

Anyways.  I’ll be talking a lot about my work as an organizer and activist, my life as an organizer and activist, and things in general that I really care about, such as political or social issues, certain important news stories, or really just anything that strikes me as something that people should hear.  Thanks, and enjoy!

Love, 

Moriah   ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment